But it didn’t take long for the Green Valley Country Club dream to
become a Roxborough, Pa. reality.
The last predominantly Jewish country club in the region now
celebrates its 100-year journey, which all started on Dec. 8, 1919. It was
because of Green Valley’s first group of 150 golfing neophytes that now,
a century later, the club’s pride is more pronounced than ever.
“We feel an immense feeling of pride to be the last-standing, fami-ly-centric, Jewish country club [in the region]. It’s been instilled in us
from the beginning. It’s a tremendous accomplishment that we’ve stuck
to those roots, even 100 years later, and that’s what makes our club so
special,” said Ken Dash, Green Valley’s current president.
Those roots were planted on that cold 1919 gathering at Philadel-
phia’s Vendig Hotel, where Green Valley grew out of thin air. The club
was born when that group of innovative minds decided a golf course
of their own would make more sense for their errant swings.
The course opened in April 1921 to its novice players. During its
original phase, the club sat in Roxborough, near the well-traveled Ridge
Pike. The first tee shot required a carry over a small lake, approximately
50 yards wide. It’s been well-documented over the years that many
of those brand new $1 golf balls were lost in the murky depths. Their
ultimate purpose, however, had been served. Soon, those hazard balls
became motivating ones, as the membership of 350 caught the golfing
bug. Playing talent soon materialized, and Green Valley’s march toward
regional relevance was off and running.
Green Valley greets 100th birthday
By Dan Scofield