34 GOLF ASSOCIATION OF PHILADELPHIA Visit the Golf Association of Philadelphia website at www.gapgolf.org for all the latest news and notes
M;;;;; C;;; P;;;;;;
P;;;;;;;; ;; I;;;;;;;
WWest Shore remains family hub of Cumbe WEST SHORE COUNTRY CLUB has been a stable Cumberland
County staple for 90 years.
The vision of Englishman Franklin Davies, who headed a small group
of wealthy, like-minded individuals, was, and still is, to be the family activity center on the West Shore of the Susquehanna River – flowing only
a mile away – to golf, swim, tennis and dine.
The club was incorporated and by-laws agreed upon in March 1928.
Davies, a golf addict, landed in Central Pennsylvania to manage an
agency of the Aetna Casualty Insurance Company in Harrisburg, Pa.
His legacy would be a premium golf course.
Shortly after the club’s founding, an option on the 69-acre Samuel
Bowman farm, owned by the Hoopy family, was secured to construct
As members waited for the golf course to open – that came with three
holes in 1929 – there are records dated 1928 documenting an active tennis
community and social scene. There is a note in the club’s history book of
West Shore purchasing a Victrola music box for dances in the farmhouse
that occupied the property. It’s the same farmhouse that was the birthplace
(in 1906) of George Hoopy, who became one of West Shore’s most
beloved members. Hoopy, who owned an insurance company, had an
unending desire to better the community and did so as a board member
of many regional organizations. Hoopy served as the club’s Golf Committee
Chairman in the 1950s, played the sport until he was 100 years old and
was universally respected. West Shore returned the aforementioned music
box in the winter of 1928 for money to heat the clubhouse.
“When the club was founded in 1928, it was always looked at as an
opportunity for families to gather around golf and other activities. It’s
worked out that way since,” said Bob Latham, 61, of Camp Hill, Pa., the
BY MARTIN D. EMENO, JR.